Monday, January 7, 2008

A Question and a Bit of an MO (not an MMO, yet)

So, video games have gone mainstream. No question, no doubt, video games are part of our culture. What, then, do those with developmental disabilities need to participate in this part of our culture?

Here is where I stand: I have spend the last few years or so of my life supporting people with developmental disabilities. Most recently, I have come into fostering young people with varying disabilities. Turns out we all like video games. A number of questions are immediately raised, most of which boiling down to: How do I choose an appropriate game? This is, for most parents, simply a content question. But in my position I must also consider the digital dexterity of the gamer, how text-dependent the game is in relation to the literacy of the gamer, how plot-driven the game is and how much of that the gamer will understand or need to understand, how visual the puzzles are, how much these puzzles depend on spatial ability, what the consequences for failure are, what brand impressions does the game hold and how that will affect the gamer's interest in the game and hundreds of other considerations. Here I hope to explore this world of considerations in specific relation to young gamers with developmental disabilities. I will draw on my pool of knowledge and experience as well as the experience of anyone involved who wishes to help me with insight.

I will not, however, forget that games are meant to be fun. Or, at least, good games are. And that's what I'm looking for: good games for my gamers.

No comments: